The Best of Italy - Outdoors, Food and Wine
Our hiking tour in the Dolomites epitomizes the Best of Italy; stunning vistas, amazing and unique cuisine, and distinctive, as yet undiscovered local wines. Join Vernon McClure, trained mountain guide, and named one of Italy’s Best Local Guides and Kathy Bechtel, trained chef, food and wine blogger with WSET wine certification, on a hiking tour through the meadows, majestic peaks, mountain rifugios, traditional kitchens and cantinas of the Dolomites.
“the mountainous landscape leaves no doubt that — with apologies to Tuscany, Sicily and Campania, home of the Amalfi Coast — the Trentino-Alto Adige region bordering Austria and Switzerland features Italy’s most stunning topography.” In Italy, Hiking and Haute Cuisine in the Dolomites, NYT Travel Section, August 16, 2015
“For those who love both the outdoors and wines, Trentino Alto-Adige is hard to beat.” Wine experts Joseph Bastianich and David Lynch, in their Vino Italiano The Regional Wines of Italy guide
"Vernon is the perfect guide if you wish to explore the Veneto and the nearby Dolomite Mountain range by bike, on foot, with skis, or hanging off a sheer rock face.” Best Local Tour Guides in Italy, Dream of Italy.
Our intimate journeys are created to introduce our guests to the truly authentic Italy we visit; we are unique in our local expertise, from the routes we travel, venues we visit, to the history, foods and wines we find along the way. During the months leading up to your tour, we work with every group to learn about your abilities, experience, and interests, and provide you with a wide variety of background information on the area we will explore, customizing your adventure to fit your personal travel style.
Our seven day/six night Hiking in the Dolomites adventure in Italy:
$4395 USD ppdo*, $300 single supplement.
2018 Dates: June 17 - 23, 2018
Limited to 8 participants, for a highly personalized experience, and the best access to small local producers.
Highlights of our Dolomites hiking tour:
- resort town of Cortina d’Ampezzo, the site of the 1956 Winter Olympics
- spectacular views as we descend down Passo Falzarego to Corvara
- hiking the gourmet rifugios above Corvara
- hiking the Sellaronda to Passp Pordoi
- private wine tastings
- hands on cooking classes
- a night in Bolzano, enjoying great food, wine and this city’s unique blend of cultural influences
Our tour includes:
- Limited to 8 participants maximum
- 6 nights accommodations at 3 star or better hotels
- All ground transfers
- 5 days of guided hiking
- All breakfasts, snacks as we hike, 3 dinners; the dinners include local wines
- Wine tastings
- Cooking classes
- All tips, gratuities, and local taxes
- Any entry fees to museums, villas, other venues we may visit
- Services of two guides throughout the trip.