Climb the Classics of the Dolomites
"Vernon is the perfect guide if you wish to explore the Dolomite mountain range by bike"
-- Dream of Italy Magazine, Italy's Best Local Guides
During this week, we ride through the heart of the Dolomites, exploring many of the unknown passes that have been the highlight of great races such as the Giro for many years. We do ride a few of the most popular routes but this program concentrates on the passes and climbs other companies overlook. Spend a week with us, experiencing the Dolomites as the local cyclists do, enjoying great climbs, amazing scenery, and the best in fresh local food and undiscovered regional wines with the freedom that comes with our small group tours.
Our cycling tours are created and personally led by regional specialist Vernon McClure. Recently named one of Italy's "Best Local Tour Guides", Vernon has over 15 years of experience designing and leading tours in this region. He has led tours, designed new itineraries, and trained staff for several well-known multinational tour companies, who relied on Vernon to provide the necessary regional expertise, gained over years of living, cycling and guiding in the Dolomites, both as a cycling guide and certified mountain guide.
We specialize in this area of Italy, focusing our passion and energies on creating regional tours that allow our guests to truly experience all aspects of this unique and spectacular countryside. We will introduce you to the varied and challenging terrain, as we enjoy both classic climbs as well as routes only known to the locals. After your ride, restore your energy with the best of the regional cuisine, and discover the local wines unknown outside of these regions (check out my article "Top Twelve Undiscovered Wines of Northeastern Italy" on Honest Cooking to learn more about these wines!)
August 8 - 15, 2015
8 days/7 nights
Tour Cost: $4295 ppdo, $300 single supplement
Includes: 6 nights accommodations in 3 star or better hotels, all ground transportation, guide services, all breakfasts, 3 dinners with wine.
A week long tour, riding many of the classic climbs of the Dolomites. We will explore areas where the locals ride, including some wonderful climbs that are overlooked by most major touring companies:
- Classic climbs, like Passo Falzergo and Passo Giau
- Passo Staulanza, a difficult climb due to it's constantly changing grade
- Passo Tre Cime and Tre Croce
- Passo Fedaia and Lago di Fedaia
- The four passes of the Sella Mountain group
- Daily coaching: climbing effectively, descending safely, pacing
- Pre-trip training suggestions
After our cycling, we enjoy our spectacular surroundings from our comfortable accommodations, with lots of options:
- Beautiful alpine towns to visit, from famed ski resort Cortina d'Ampezzo to lovely small Alleghe, providing great options for dining and shopping during our cycling adventures
- Enjoy a refreshing aperol spritz on the hotel terrace, the ubiquitous local aperitif of prosecco and aperol
- Explore the quaint towns and villages of the Dolomites, with their bilingual names and mix of Austrian and Italian cultures
- Immerse yourself in the traditions of this lovely region of Italy and learn its diverse history as we experience firsthand the local lifestyle
Each area we visit will have its signature dishes and traditional foods and wines. We’ll enjoy refueling after our active days on local specialties such as:
- Piave and Montasio cheeses, honey, and chestnuts
- Little known local varietal wines, including the robust Lagrein from Alto Adige and Teroldego Rotaliano from Trentino
- Speck, sopressa and asiago from the mountains of Altopiani Asiago
As with all of our trips, our small group size and local expertise allows us to support groups of mixed levels. So if your traveling companion is not quite ready for the ultimate challenge, we can provide options - perhaps a less challenging ascent up the same peak, or a flatter ride around the base.